HOW TO PACK, PALLET & PREPARE YOUR FREIGHT FOR SHIPPING
So, how to prepare and palletize your items for safe, secure shipping. It may seem a little complicated at first but, in fact, its quite simple and just needs a little common sense.
Preparing your freight for shipping, whether by air, sea or road, is very important to avoid any surprises once it arrives at its destination.
Let's have a look at how to pack a pallet and prepare your freight.
We never say this enough....
1) The carriers job is to get your freight from A to B, not prepare it for shipment. Please package your freight as well as possible.
2) Package your products and pallet for strength. Your product can be damaged inside the box, on the pallet and by other pallets so protect it from the inside out.
3) Use quality packaging materials (not the cheapest or second hand). Trust me, it's worth the extra time, work and cost. Quality boxes, quality pallets, quality shrink wrap, quality tape...
7 BEST PRACTICES TO PREPARE YOUR FREIGHT FOR TRANSPORT- IN SMALL BOXES
1. YOUR PRODUCT NEED TO BE PROPERLY PACKED IN EACH BOX
Make sure the boxes are full, with no air in them. With air your products can get crushed and damaged on the inside during shipping. You can cut the box and adjust the size, use packing materials like packing peanuts, bubble wrap…
Use enough tape otherwise it could open in the middle or tear off on the edges.
2. STACK BOXES TOGETHER CAREFULLY & EVENLY
Staggered or aligned boxes is preferred,
Heavier boxes at the bottom, lighter boxes at the top,
Make sure boxes don’t overhang or aren’t misaligned on the pallet, otherwise the pallet can act as a bumper or boxes will move and be damaged.
3. DISTRIBUTE WEIGHT EVENLY BOTH IN THE BOXES AND ON THE PALLET
4. USE FLAT, EMPTY CARDBOARD EVERY COUPLE OF ROWS TO EVEN OUT AND SOLIDIFY LOSE BOXES
5. SHRINK-WRAP IT PROPERLY SO IT'S ALL TIGHT TOGETHER
Don’t be shy on the shrink wrap: wrap 3 to 5 times (1 or 2 times isn’t enough),
Use quality shrink wrap,
Wrap the top part of the pallet as well but not entirely so the pallet is accessible to the forklift, so the pallet doesn’t separate from the boxes when the forklift tilt to transport
As you wrap your boxes, twist the wrap for more strength
6. IF YOU HAVE AN OPTION TO STRAP OVER THE PALLET THEN DO IT FOR EXTRA SECURITY
7. IF YOU HAVE ANY DOUBTS OR QUESTIONS PLEASE DON'T HESITATE TO ASK US FOR ADVICE... IT'S FREE!
SOURCE & THANKS TO: FREIGHTERA.COM